Library Services Policy
The Belgrade Community Library (BCL) offers programs for citizens of all ages. Programs may be developed and presented by Library staff or may be co-sponsored by the Library and other community organizations. Preschool story time programs will be presented by Library staff on a regular schedule throughout the year. Other programs for children and young adults will be planned, staff time and budget permitting, during school holidays and summer vacations. Each year the Library Director will establish a budget for purchasing materials for programming.
Programs for adults may be scheduled throughout the year as interest warrants. Speakers from community groups and businesses may be invited to present programs on topics of general interest or of a timely nature. Presenters may not directly solicit business before, during or following a program, unless prior permission is given by the Director. The presenter's business cards and brochures may be left on a display table for attendees to pick up. No fees may be charged to attend any Library sponsored or co-sponsored program.
Library programs are generally open to anyone wishing to attend. Persons attending Library-sponsored or co-sponsored programs are expected to adhere to the Library's policies on patron conduct.
By separate action, and reaffirmed herein, the Belgrade Community Library has endorsed the American Library Association's Library Bill of Rights and Interpretations, "Library-Initiated Programs as a Resource."
Bulletin Board Display
Belgrade Community Library provides space for a bulletin board display. The bulletin board may include public documents and announcements that publicize only non-profit events with civic, educational, cultural, or recreational interests.
Commercial and personal announcements or active solicitations of any kind are not allowed. Materials for display may not contain partisan politics or demean groups or individuals. The library reserves the right to place limits on location, duration, and size of materials.
All announcements must be pre-approved by library staff before being posted or distributed. In general, items will be removed from posting after 30 days.
Distribution or posting of items by the library does not imply endorsement, support, or co-sponsorship by the library.
The library provides exhibition space, to be determined by library staff, for individuals and non-profit groups in order for them to promote their art, activities, history, cultural heritage, and/or current projects. The space may not be used for exhibits that are commercial in nature, promote a specific religious concept, espouse partisan politics, or demean groups or individuals.
The library's goal is to provide exhibitions of an artistic nature or those sponsored or co-sponsored by the Belgrade Community Library. Other displays may be, if approved by the Library Director, placed in the upper level community room or in the children's room. The library reserves the right to place limits on location, duration, and size of exhibits. Exhibitions do not imply endorsement by the library.
The Library will take reasonable care to ensure the safety and security of items displayed; however, the Library does not assume responsibility in the event of loss, theft, or damage. Exhibitors are encouraged to insure items of value and will be required to sign a form that releases the Library from responsibility for loss, damage, or destruction. All displays and exhibits will be organized in a manner consistent with the Library Bill of Rights and Interpretations, specifically Article 2 which states that "Libraries should provide materials and information presenting all points of view on current and historical issues." No Library space is available for unsolicited exhibits, displays, petitions, or sale of items. For further details about exhibit spaces, see the Community Art Selection policy.
Use of Library by Non-Profit Organizations
Non-profit, educationally based organizations may be allowed to solicit at the library for fundraising functions which are open to the public. Pre-approval will be given by the Library Board of Directors, and evaluated on a case-by-case basis. The group will work with the Director regarding details as to such placement of displays or tables and timelines. Requests should be submitted at least one month in advance.
Reference Services include, but are not limited, to the following:
- Inquiries for information
- Length of staff reference search time is limited to a maximum of 20 minutes
- Information requests will be answered, using the sources available in the BCL. If the questions cannot be answered using BCL resources, effort will be made to refer patrons to other libraries, groups, or agencies that may be able to help.
- Telephone inquiries will be answered in a timely manner.
- Mail and email inquiries are accepted. The inquiry must be specific and understandable. If not, the inquiry will be returned for clarification. Emails may be sent to the Belgrade Library.
- Staff will locate materials if the current work situation allows. When circumstances do not permit personal assistance, clear instructions will be given to direct the patron to the proper area.
- Bibliographies will be compiled by Library staff at the request of the Library Director or the Library Board.
- American Library Association (ALA) Library Bill of Rights
- ALA Library Bill of Rights and Interpretations: Exhibit Spaces and Bulletin Boards
- ALA Library Bill of Rights and Interpretations: Library-Initiated Programs as a Resource
- Library Services Exhibit Release Form
Approved by the Board of Trustees: 05/26/20
Reviewed by Library Staff: April 2020