Planning and Zoning
About the Department
The Belgrade City Council and the Gallatin County Commission established the Belgrade City-County Planning Board to develop a growth policy and serve in an advisory capacity to the two governing bodies in making decisions regarding land use and development in the Belgrade area. The Planning Board is made up of nine members. Four members of the Planning Board reside within the City limits of Belgrade and are appointed by the Belgrade City Council. Four additional members reside outside the City limits and within the Board's 4.5 mile jurisdiction around the City limits are appointed by the Gallatin County Commission. The ninth member is appointed by the Planning Board and approved by the City Council and County Commission and may reside either in the City limits or outside the City limits but within 4.5 mile Planning Jurisdiction.
The Belgrade City-County Planning Staff support the efforts of the Planning Board by performing the ministerial duties of subdivision and zoning review, and to complete the day to day ministerial duties of the Planning Department.
The Planning Staff is available to assist the general public in many different roles, including the following:
- Managing the subdivision review process from initial inquiry to final plat approval, including pre-application review, preliminary plat review, final plat review, organization and scheduling of Planning Board public meetings and public hearings, coordination of subdivision review with other governmental agencies, keeping the public informed of specific subdivision proposals, and carrying forward all Planning Board recommendations to the Belgrade City Council and/or the Gallatin County Commission.
- Assists in zoning review and zone code enforcement.
- Develop growth policy recommendations for the Planning Board.
- Develop ordinances, resolutions, and other regulations as directed by the Planning Board, City Council, and County Commission.
- Available on a daily basis to answer questions and assist public officials, developers, consultants, realtors, contractors, and the general public in various facets of applicable land use regulations.
NEW City of Belgrade Zone Code
The Belgrade City Council adopted a new zone code at a public hearing on Monday, July 17, 2023. The new code can be viewed here.
Be Heard Belgrade
Visit beheardbelgrade.com, the City of Belgrade's new website that helps you get involved, stay informed and engage on current planning projects taking place in the Belgrade community.
The City of Belgrade recently adopted a new annexation policy which can be seen here. To petition to annex, see the annexation petition and supplemental information form on the Applications and Forms Page.
Belgrade Growth Policy
View the 2020 Belgrade Growth Policy here.
Long Range Transportation Plan
View the 2017 Belgrade Long Range Transportation Plan here.
Triangle Community Plan and Triangle Trails Plan
View the Triangle Community Plan and Triangle Trails Plan by visiting the Planning Coordination Committee website.
Downtown Design Plan
View the City of Belgrade Downtown Design Plan here.
Planning, Building & Zoning Fees
View the Planning, Building and Zoning Fees (PDF) (as of September 7, 2021).
Access the Planning Board meeting agendas and minutes in the Agenda Center.