Meeting Room Policy & Inquiry Form
Milesnick Meeting Room Policy
The Belgrade Community Library provides space for meetings and programs of an informational, educational, cultural, or civic nature. Meeting space is available for both Library and general public use. Use of meeting space does not imply endorsement or support by the Library for a group’s activities or beliefs. The Belgrade Community Library Board of Trustees or the Director reserves the right to approve or disapprove the use of meeting space.
Community programs are those programs and meetings that are organized, administered, and advertised by the general public. The Library merely provides the meeting space as a public service. Meeting rooms are not intended to be used for gatherings such as birthday parties, play days, or other events that are purely social in nature.
- Meeting rooms are available to individuals and groups on a first-come, first-served basis. Users must make reservations in advance and sign a Meeting Room Use Agreement. The Library provides some equipment for public use. Users can, with advance notice, request to use the Library’s equipment.
- Any publicity distributed by the individual or group must include a statement of written sponsorship to clarify who is responsible for the meeting. For example, “This program is sponsored by Group Name. Use of the Library meeting space does not imply endorsement or support by the Library.”
- Non-profit groups or individuals using the meeting room may request that the Library post a brief notice of the meeting on the Library’s bulletin board. The group or individual will provide the notice to Library staff for review prior to posting the final notice.
- No one may charge admission, offer items for sale or charge for any service while using the meeting space, without prior approval. If approval is granted, the individual or group must remit 20% of funds collected to the Library in return for use of the meeting room.
- Meeting rooms may be booked for use before or after Library open hours. Approval is required by the Director. A fee of $40.00 per hour will be assessed to cover Library staff and utility fees during the hours that the Library is not open.
- Any person(s) or group using the Belgrade Community Library meeting room must sign a Meeting Room Agreement. (2 page form, attached to this policy). @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Library sponsored programs are those programs and meetings that are organized, administered, and advertised by the Belgrade Community Library, or by the Library in co-sponsorship with another agency, organization, institution, or individual. This includes Library programs run by patrons (e.g. Book Clubs). Library sponsored programs have scheduling priority over community programs. Any publicity distributed by the Library or the co-sponsoring agency will include a statement of sponsorship. For example, “This program is sponsored by the Belgrade Community Library in partnership with the Montana Wilderness Association.”
Excerpts from Library-Initiated Programs and Displays as a Resource: An Interpretation of the Library Bill of Rights (American Library Association, June 24, 2019, accessed March 14, 2023):
“Concerns [or] questions . . . about library-initiated programs and displays are handled according to the same written policy and procedures that govern reconsiderations of other library resources. . . . Library sponsorship of a program does not constitute an endorsement of the program content or the views expressed by the participants or speakers, any more than the purchase of resources for the library collection or curation of a display constitutes an endorsement of the resources content or its creator’s views.”
Approved by Board of Trustees: 11/19/19
Reviewed by Library Staff: October 2019