Reviewing Library Policies
In compliance with Public Library Standards [Administrative Rules of Montana 10.102.1150B (1)(b)], Library policies are reviewed and updated as necessary by the Belgrade Community Library Board of Trustees at least once every three years. When the Board reviews Library policies, the policies' effect on the Library's relations with the public are evaluated.
- Once a policy is selected for review, the document will be uploaded to Google Docs and shared with the staff (comment only; no edits). An assigned staff member may make grammatical and formatting adjustments before uploading the policy. All staff will be able to review the Google Document at the same time, and all comments will be viewable to all staff. Staff will have one week to submit edits, comments, and/or additions. If a staff member will be absent for more than one week (such as for vacation time), the staff member may request that the policy be open for comment for an additional period of time.
- After the review period by the staff, the Director will read over any suggested changes.
- Any significant changes to the content or original intent of the policy will be reviewed with all staff at the next scheduled staff meeting.
- If all changes are deemed fit for Board consideration, edits/updates will be incorporated into a red-lined document for Board review. Grammatical, spelling, and formatting changes will not require Board approval.
- The Board receives the red-lined (edited) copy of the policy for a first reading in the Board packet for the next scheduled Board meeting.
- At the Board meeting, the Board can request additional changes, information, or research from the Director; request a vote on the policy at the next regularly scheduled meeting; vote to adopt the updated policy; or table the proposed policy changes.
- If the Board requests more information or research, the Director may l bring the policy back to the entire staff for the research or input, or assign the research to a single staff person, depending on the policy needs.
- If all changes are deemed fit for Board consideration, edits/updates will be incorporated into a red-lined document for Board review.
- At the next Board meeting, the updated policy will be shared with the Board for discussion. The policy is then either adopted or tabled.
- If adopted, the policy is digitally updated, placed on the website, and printed for binders in the Director's office and circulation desk.